Making new performance with Seth Kriebel
2006 - ongoing
- 'Beowulf'- developed at Battersea Arts Centre, preview tour winter 2018 followed by BAC run March 2018. Co-deviser/Director
- 'A House Repeated' - developed at Battersea Arts Centre, sold out runs 2015/16 & national tour 2016/7. Co-deviser/Co-performer.
- 'We This Way', a full length game/performance where the audience vote where to go /what to do. Opened at Summerhall, Edinburgh 2015 and toured nationally. Co-deviser/Director.
- 'The Unbuilt Room,' a short game/performance, rewritten for each location, which continues to tour. Previous venues include the Turner Contemporary, Science Museum, Battersea Arts Centre and the British Library, 2010 - ongoing. Performer/associate deviser.
- 'Vivascope', part of Dip Your Toe 2012, commissioned by Brighton Fringe/Nightingale Theatre, Brighton. Converting a Victorian bathing machine into a camera obscura and making performance in/around it. Toured nationally. Co-creator/Co-performer.
- 'Int. Room Day', a micro-performance. Commissioned by Sally O’Reilly for the Beacon Arts Festival, 2006-7. Co-creator/Co-performer.
Apocryphal Theatre ensemble member
2004 - 10
I was a core member of Apocryphal Theatre, resident company at Camden People's Theatre which was a highly experimental, international, cross-disciplinary theatre company made up of performers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Whilst creating full-scale productions, festivals and other events for the public, the weekly lab remained at the heart of the exploration. Performances included work in galleries and theatres plus university residencies and a live broadcast for Resonance FM from the Tate Modern.
‘Pioneering and profoundly necessary work’ Chris Goode.
‘This work is at the forefront of the exploration of performance as a space of possibilities developing today, and pointing to the future of creative theatre and performance practice’ - Prof. Dr. Hans-Thies Lehmann (author of Postdramatic Theatre).
Selected other devising/performance collaboration
I have previously worked with the following artists and companies… (See acting CV for full breakdown.)
- Station House Opera, on trans-European, live internet-linked 'The Other is You'.
- Designer Simon Daw, appearing as the Oracle of Delphi in 'Hopefully It Means Nothing', performing from inside a crate outside the National Theatre and interacting directly with the public to obliquely foretell futures.
- Sound artist Sophea Lerner based at Sibelius Academy, as part of Particle/Wave: Pixelache Festival at Kiasma Arts Centre, Finland linking an exploration of Helsinki central station 'Station Motion' with phone, radios and live presence.
- Ragroof Theatre, learning to box & co-devising with an ensemble group of performers in a boxing ring making 'Gloves On' about, for and with the boxing community.
- Rachel Gomme, performance and instillation artist, on a project reflecting on stillness 'Still Moving Project' developed initially as a Chisenhale Dance Project.
- Co-created, performed and devised with Jerri Daboo (now Professor at Exeter University) founding Zeta Theatre Productions (Wales) touring issue based, Boal style performance & workshops.
- Central School of Speech & Drama - Directing and production course (BTec HND). I was student Assistant Director to Bill Alexander (RSC, Birmingham Rep) and worked on Caryl Churchill’s original production of 'Mad Forest'.
- Devising and 20th century director’s actor training techniques (two years) with Peader Kirk at the City Literary Institute, London.
- MA in Theatre Practice at Exeter University, with Prof. Phillip Zarrilli - daily training in Asian martial arts as pre-performative training.
- Viewpoints training with Lukas Angelini, Theatre Training Initiate, London. 2014 - 16
- Meisner training with Martin Hobbs, Scott Williams, Kate Maravan ongoing from 2010.
- Estill Vocal Training with Stefan Holmstrom 2016 - ongoing
Commissions, Awards & Grants
- Finnish Arts Council travel bursary to attend & present work 'Station Motion' at Pichelache Festival, Helsinki. 2005
- Sally O’Reilly for Beacon Arts Festival to write a new version of 'Int. Room Day' 2007
- Arts Council of England R&D grant to combine my MA research into body/mind work through martial arts training with Professor Phillip Zarrilli with expanded experience of performer actions and audience interaction 2006.
- Nightingale Theatre/Marlborough Theatre/Brighton Festival Fringe to make a performance in a Dip Your Toe bathing machine & developing our camera obscure performance 'Vivascope' 2012
- Independent newspaper i award for 'Vivascope' 2012.
- Battersea Arts Centre development space/support & Scratch to create Seth Kriebel's 'A House Repeated'. 2015.
- Brighton Festival/Home Live Art - 'The Memory of Bricks' (The Unbuilt Room) 2016
- Battersea Arts Centre/Marlborough Theatre development space/support to create Seth Kriebel's 'Beowulf' 2017
- Battersea Arts Centre, development space & support for new piece with Lukas Angelini. 2018 .